NEW!!! Message from the Principal Below:
April 16, 2020
Hello Collins School Parents/Guardians,
We hope that you are taking the time this week to enjoy Spring Break with your children. We want you to know that we are thinking about you. You’ve been at the helm of remote learning for several weeks now, and we’re hoping you’ve found your groove. We know it’s tough, but you’re doing a great job — keep up the A+ work! Below are some updates for when online learning resumes on Monday, April 20th and some resources that we hope you will find helpful as you work with your children at home.
Instruction will resume on Monday, April 20th. Please feel free to contact your children’s teachers at that time to get ideas about keeping routines and helping your children with distance learning. Also, new work packets for two-weeks of instruction in grades TK-2 will be distributed on Monday, 4/20 from 8:30-11:00 in the parking lot at the same time as meal distribution. If you are unable to come, we encourage you to download the work packets at home. Links to the work packets can be found on our Collins School website under “Grade Levels” for TK-2 grades.
Here are some tips for parents that have been recommended by ClassTag (some of our teachers use this platform to communicate to parents):
· Stop before your child loses interest. Follow your child’s lead and stop the activity before those eyes glaze over.
· Break-up an activity into several shorter time slots. Scatter the activity throughout the day or spread it over several days to keep everyone motivated and happy.
· Put a snack in those hands. Keep hands active, tummies full, and the brain firing when you add a snack to learning.
· Change the environment. Keep learning at home fun by changing up where you do it. Throw a blanket over the kitchen table or snuggle up in bed for the day’s activities. Use a book as a clipboard and a box to keep school supplies organized.
ClassTag Resources has been developed to respond to the growing need for parents, teachers, and anyone passionate about helping kids learn with free software, games, videos, lesson plans and more.
· A bit worried about your child’s emotional well-being? Top Resources for SEL Learning at Home. At Collins School our Counselor and Social Worker are available also. Please call us at 562.602.8008 and we can connect you to them.
· Kids need to burn off some energy? Keep them moving inside with Top 5 Resources for Keeping Kids Active at Home
· Miss being outside during these gorgeous spring days? Bring the outdoors in with Resources for Helping your Family Connect with Nature.
Additionally, please be sure to check out the resources above, as well as on our Collins School website under “Resources” for Student and Parent Resources. Our website is updated daily from 4:00-6:00 p.m. Check it out periodically for new links and updates.
Finally, we are here to help. If you are have any questions and/or are feeling frustrated you are not alone. This is a challenging time for all of us. Please call us Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at 562.602.8008. We can answer your questions and/or connect you to resources that can help. Please reach out to us. We are here for you.
Stay safe. Be well. You are in our thoughts always.
Theresa Diaz, Principal
This Virtual Backpack contains the important notices and flyers that are sent home with your child from the main office. Information is available in both English and Spanish. This page gives you the opportunity to keep up-to-date with school activities and announcements.
Please see "Student Resources" under the "Resources" tab for Assignments for each grade level. Links will also be provided under specific grade levels under the "Grade Level" tab.